Sunday, 5 August 2007

A Journal cover for carol

The most recent piece of work that I've completed was a journal cover an accompanying card etc for my great friend carol of (check her out if you haven't already done so ... amazing work). This again was part of a group swap and i have to admit to being very late with this one ... sorry carol ,but she was pleased with the results. As I'm beginning all new design work for Meniscus and the forthcoming exhibitions I decided to link this Carol's journal and seized the opportunity to use some of the samples which i was playing around with.

Carol loves purple so the colour was with her in mind, my meniscus work will be totally different.

The 'fabric' I used was tissue paper bonded to calico (I always try and make my own fabric whenever possible) silk paints to dye, with walnut ink and silver webbing spray, the effect was quite stunning and especially once I began stitching experimentally with various twin needles and metallic threads. The motif was a small slip of melted felt and hand made cords placed on the front. I found that by 'stuffing' the lines of stitch at the back this gave a nice raised trapunto effect - note the post card ... lots more playing to do there.

Burning out

Submitting work to a magazine is a first for me so it was quite scary stuff ( positively a leap of faith), and a quilter I am definitely not! but I did feel comfortable with the technique I choose. The top layer of organdy was burned out with a soldering iron to reveal the design and the edges too which give the whole piece an aged effect. Again, 'keeping the faith' I recycled the copper wire from an old boiler! ... Knew it would come in handy one day!

Quilting Arts and 'A Leap Of Faith'

I'm thrilled to bits, An art quilt which i did some months ago in conjunction with FAT (fiber art traders) which is an Internet group I belong to, has been published and is in this issue of Quilting Arts magazine. The title I choose was 'A Leap Of Faith' and in a nutshell I based my design work around the cracking of the code for DNA.The double helix featured heavily in the early stages of design and by exaggerating and abstracting and lots of sampling I did manage to put 'A story together'.